1. You just “swung by” to get some mulch but then somehow all this wound up in your car, too.
2. When the cashier announces the total, you realize it’s the same amount that Oxfam’s fundraising letter said would feed an entire African village for a month.
3. You have trouble shifting gears on the way home because you have a hardy banana plant wedged diagonally in front of the passengers seat. Also, your tiny car is so packed with plants you find pollen in your ears when you get home.
4. Your 8-year-old, who has accompanied you and overhears the total, announces that he is going to “tell Dad” how much you spent when he gets home.
5. You don’t think you’ve spent more on fabulous container plants this month than on food for your family, but you’re not really sure.